
Me and some of my friends out last weekend. From left: Catie, Nicole, Megan, Kristy (my roomie,) and Shannon. Fun night!
Hello hello hello! I have had an awesome two days! We have gotten to get out of the classroom and do some actual work so it has been really fun.
Yesterday the entire campus headed out to a local middle school to give some presentations and we built two outdoor 1/4 mile tracks. In the morning, two teams including mine, gave presentations to some 6th and 7th graders. I presented with Ben and Max, and we talked to a 6th grade class and a 7th grade class about AmeriCorps, why we chose to do it, and why community service is important. The first group we talked to were the 6th graders and they seemed a little uninterested. I felt weird talking to them about AmeriCorps when they wouldn't be able to apply for 7 years. The second group we talked to were the 7th graders and they asked tons of questions and it was exciting to see kids so young get so excited about community service. It was a lot of fun!
When we were done we went outside to help the other teams with the tracks. I was part of a bucket line that passed buckets of rock-dust (don't remember the actual name) to be thrown down on the track. All the 8th graders from the school got to get out of a few classes to help us. It was awesome working with them because they brought so much energy and really pumped us up! Plus I think they were excited to get some extra time outside on a beautiful day.
We were all pretty exhausted after we were done. Once the kids went in for lunch we had to dismantle the bucket line and carry the buckets and push wheel barrows full of rock. The finished product was awesome and we couldn't believe that we built two tracks in one day. Amazing what some man power can do!
Today was a lot of fun as well. We worked with Volunteers for America raking leaves for senior citizens. I went to five different houses with my team. All of the senior citizens were very appreciative and made us feel great about what we were doing. Plus, we got some quality team time in and it was fun getting to know some people that I hadn't talked to much.
In the evening the team leaders have been doing a great job of providing us with different clubs that we can go to. This week I went to a vegetarian club, outdoors club, feminist club, diversity club, grassroots environmental club, and got to do some yoga last night. Also, there are a few tennis courts here so I've been able to get out and play a bit.
I'm really starting to settle into my life here and am really loving every minute! I get the next two days off so that will be a nice break. Tomorrow I'm going to check out the Coors factory in Golden and in Monday I'm gonna get some independent service hours in (I need 80.) I'm not sure what I'll be doing yet. Have a great weekend, Go Ducks!!!
Danielle
No comments:
Post a Comment